Thursday, May 13, 2010

This is kinda cheesy!


Recently, my littlest sister Jeneah came over just to visit.  Well, little did she know I had big plans for us to try out a fun and simple recipe for Buttermilk Cheese (saw it in Country Living Magazine). 
Jeneah and I went to work at our very first ever batch of cheese.  The ingrediants are Buttermilk, Whole Milk and Sea Salt.  Wow.  Really?  I never knew cheese could be made by cooking a few simple items 8 minutes (until 180 degrees) and laddling the curds from the whey.  (does that remind anyone of Little Miss Muffet?)
Let me tell you the cheese was good!  Along with the cheese we made the accompaniments in the article - a little pistachio crust, some strawberry jam and a fig sauce.  All easy and delicious!
I realized through this process just how silly it is that most of us (me included) don't know the first thing about how to make things from scratch anymore.  For the most part, we don't know how to grind grains, make clothing or even grow our own food.  I realize some do, but how did we get so far away from the basics so fast! 
So that little project was the inspiration for me to try more cheese recipes - next maybe Mozzarella!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
wife & mother of 4 beautiful children, 2 girls & 2 boys. small business co-owner; catering and a restaurant/alehouse, writer, gardener, lover of freedom and humility found in christ, small town enthusiast, book reader, admirer of noble truths, beauty and love

Followers