I have definetly caught the budgeting bug!
I swear to you for the first time in my life I actually look forward to getting our bills each month. Can you believe it? I know, me either.
We have been working hard to keep our heat turned down, our wood stove cranked up, lights off and spending to a minimum. Our children are adjusting as they at first couldn't understand why we just don't run out for ice cream or a new sweater or .... "fill in the blank" like we used to. I have reduced my drive thru coffee habit - down to about once every two months. Scott has trimmed his eating out budget to a fraction of what it used to be.
Here are the top reasons I am so thankful for our new budget:
1. I feel like a grown up.
2. It has caused me to be more organized with paperwork than ever before. I even know what we paid for utilities for the past 2 years so I can have an idea what to actually budget for each month!
3. We can be more purposeful in our giving!!!
4. Choosing where to spend our money is empowering!
5. We can make our dollars stretch farther when we respect them more!
6. Prioritizing our personal expenses means nothing truly important gets left out at the expense of something less important!
7. I am more thankful for the conveniences and goods we exchange our money for - heat, services rendered, internet and more.
For our family being thrifty and purposeful during the winter months is absolutely essential as our business slows way down from the full and bustling summer and fall. While we have more time together we have much less money to spend, it's feast or famine! I will take the family time and enjoy it more when I realize we have prepared well!
How about your family - do you budget? What are your tips and tricks to staying on track?
I use Dave Ramsey's online budget worksheets printed right off of his website for free in order to make a monthly budget.
all is mine (3) at the sea shore (3) becoming free (2) Being Thrifty (7) Books (2) Chickens (5) Cooking (8) Country Life (35) Creative Living (22) Family (43) Favorite Quotes (7) Friendship (5) Gardening (3) Generosity (4) Getting away (3) Holidays (8) Home Decor (9) Love (1) Lovely Books (1) Meet Our Family (3) ponderings (13) potager (5) Schooling (7) Simple Joys (5) Soaping (1) Spring (2) Thankfulness (14) Traditions (17) Winter (4)
- ▼ November (8)
- ► 2011 (41)