Thursday, November 11, 2010

Comfort and Simple Faith


Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thes. 5:16-18


As I read these verses I remembered a book I read a few years ago called "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom.  I remember it being a comfort to me and as soon as I could get to the library I checked it out again. To my delight they also had another book about her life and faith.  I guess this post is a study on my thoughts and inner struggles this week and the encouragement I have found in reading about Corrie whose faith in God was simple and yet carried her through the lowest lows and highest heights of human existense. 


Here are just of few of the simple truths she is known for saying and encouraging with in addition to her favorite scriptures:


Jesus is Victor. 



The Lord has no problems, only plans.



She wrote:  I look at the faces around me, and experience deep sympathy.  I know I have work for the kingdom of God.  After what He did for me on the cross, then I am happy that I can suffer a little.



(If you are unfamiliar with her story, she suffered much, soooo so much in a concentration camp where she lost her father, sister and nephew).  When I read her words "suffer a little" and then compare it with any present suffering I experience - my sufferings wouldn't even register on a chart. 


From her stories I gain perspective and draw up strength.  I am encouraged to hide the Word in my heart and live with a childlike faith.


I highly, highly recommend reading her story or rereading it, whichever the case may be!
Blessings,
Olivia








                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
wife & mother of 4 beautiful children, 2 girls & 2 boys. small business co-owner; catering and a restaurant/alehouse, writer, gardener, lover of freedom and humility found in christ, small town enthusiast, book reader, admirer of noble truths, beauty and love

Followers