(Recipe is from the beach house cookbook & since I have an Apple Tree, I substituted Apple's this time - it was originally Country Pear Cake!)
"This cake is perfect for picnics or informal parties because it's best when cut into squares and eaten out of hand. It's delicious made with fresh ripe pears, but it also works well with almost any kind of fruit or berry."...this was the description that had me at hello!
Serves 6 to 8
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter - at room temp
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs - farm fresh (preferably!) & room temperature
2 medium or 3 small apples, pears or other fruit thinly sliced - peeled or unpeeled it's your preference
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter and flour an 8 inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light & fluffly.
4. With the mixer running and set on medium, gradually add the flour mixture to the batter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until well combined.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Arrange the pears in rows on top of the batter. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the fruit. Bake until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and turns golden brown, 40 t0 50 minutes. Set aside on a rack to cool.
6. When the cake is completely cool, cut it into squares and serve fruit side up!
The cake in the picture was a gift to my dear friend Tamara for her birthday last week! So much fun to give as a gift! But of course, my whole family was jealous that the entire cake was given away so I made another the next day for afternoon snack! Easy as pie! I mean cake!